- Review and approval of lodge payment obligations (creditors).
- Review the accuracy and completeness of lodge bank reconciliations.
- Process monthly journals.
- Ensuring business expenditure is properly authorized and allocated
- Demonstrate and lead with an independent mind that is capable of questioning the need/requirement for proposed business expenditure and/or to consider that the determined value is reasonable, fair and within acceptable market ranges.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate recording of transactions, whether on the Panstrat system or within manual systems such that transactions are recorded on a day to day basis.
- Interpretation and analysis of management accounts.
- Collation and resolution of general ledger queries.
- Assist the Regional Financial Manager with the external Audit and field queries with the audit team.
- Support the Regional Finance Manager with the full financial reporting function for all lodge business units.
- Monthly management account reporting for regional business units and variance analysis.
- In conjunction with the Regional Finance Manager co-ordinate regional annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting.
- Maintain commercial focus through performance of & review of detailed budgets, forecasts and input management decisions.
- Perform and maintain assigned balance sheet reconciliations on a monthly basis.
Internal control environment & safe guarding of company assets and resources;
- Investigate and report variances and implement controls to reduce variances where relevant
- Support the maintenance of the fixed asset register across all business units.
Training and Support to Lodge Accounting Officers and other supported staff;
- Lead and support
A primary team of seven lodge accounting officers (including all lodge operations in East Africa)
A secondary team of assistant accounting officers and a team of stores personnel
- Perform lodge financial audits and ensure best operating practices are maintained
- Plan, direct and coordinate the responsibilities of direct and indirect reports to ensure they are performing in line with expectations.
- Develop (and continually improve upon) a comprehensive lodge audit program covering all financial related responsibilities of accounting officers and lodge management.
- Plan and execute bi-monthly (twice a month) financial audits.
- Develop and adapt best operating practices and implement improvements.
- Investigate and report variances and implement controls to reduce variances where relevant.
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal customers and provide assistance when problems may be encountered.
- Determine how support to lodge teams where an Accounting Officer is on leave.
- Perform the duties of an Accounting Officer (Lodge) on a short term basis if a resource is needed to bridge a gap.
- Initiate disciplinary hearings.
- 3 Years finance degree or relevant qualification (preference will be given to candidates with a CPA)
- 5+ years’ experience with a well-respected audit firm.
- Microsoft Office Computer literate - Excel basics are essential.
- PanStrat experience preferable.
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
- Analysis and problem solving.
- Critical thinking – always maintain a high level of professional skepticism.
- Highly numerate and accurate, with an eye for detail on numbers and analysis of financial results.
- Independent and confident to ask and/or question costs or decision.
- Attention to detail.
- Teamwork / collaboration.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good communication skills.
- Patience a must.
- Result orientated and deadline driven.
- Hands-on, self-driven and motivated.
- Organized and results oriented.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Highly ethical and integrous with the ability to be principled when necessary.